Thursday, May 8, 2008

After The Beep

After not being able to locate my cell phone for an hour this morning, I experienced the following:

  • fear of the unknown future
  • anxiety about communicating with loved ones
  • failure to provide availability
  • grief regarding the possible loss of a life line
  • anxiety about the end of the world
  • an incessant need to pee but not wanting to take the precious time to do so lest someone try to contact me and I am unable to answer
  • barely audible mumbles that faintly resembled what may or may not be my Bob Marley ring tone
  • wha-uh- was that a text message alert?
  • frustration
  • curiosity regarding the apparent misplacement of my phone
And then as time went by, my thoughts changed to the following:

  • the once bare trees have become quite green
  • when did my dog get so big?
  • more coffee
  • ten years ago I didn't have a cell phone... and I made it through just fine
  • when not having a choice but to exist in the realm of being phoneless, the world is somehow a little less stressful
  • but I thought I NEEDED my phone?
  • you mean, I DON'T need it?
  • what?
  • i should vacuum
Then I found it. No one called. There was no text message waiting on me. Just a lot of wasted worry for a 4" device that gives me stiffness in the neck and distractions when I drive.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Well, it isn't like you use your cell phone to call people anyway!!

I'm glad you found it though. Use it to call me once in a while.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how restful it can be with no cell phone ringing!

Unknown said...

Nick?? You have an e blog???